Search This Blog

Sunday, April 3, 2011

What Happened to "You're Welcome?"

Have you noticed that when you say, "Thank you," to someone, they often say, "No problem" instead of "You're welcome?" When did that conversational change occur?


I have a problem with that for a few reasons. First, When you say "thank you", you are giving someone a gift. When they don't acknowledge the gift, you feel someone kicked in the teeth. When someone says, "No problem", are they refusing the gift? Or is there some other explanation?


Second, what are they really saying? Are they saying that helping you was not a problem for them and that they were glad to have helped? That is a nice sentiment and I would like to hear that gladness. Or are they saying, "It was no big deal. You are not special and I would have done this for anyone?" If that's the case, they are being rude and when we don't acknowledge rudeness in someone, we are not holding them accountable. They will be rude again, and they think we are okay with it.


Or third, are they saying, " I did nothing special and I don't want to be recognized for having done anything special and you make me feel awkward by recognizing what I did?"


What makes someone closed to the "thank you" process?


I don't know the answer to these questions and I hope one of my blog readers does. Please give me feedback on this.


Thank you, in advance.

No comments:

Post a Comment