Search This Blog

Friday, March 4, 2011

Silence: Friend or Foe

Last night my husband and I watched the movie "Into Great Silence".


Netflix describes it this way: "Director Philip Gröning's study of the Grande Chartreuse monastery introduces a world of austere beauty as it follows the daily activities of the resident monks, whose silence is broken only by prayer and song. With no sound save the natural rhythms of age-old routines, the documentary -- a Special Jury Prize winner at the 2006 Sundance Film Festival -- captures the simplicity and profundity of lives lived with absolute purpose and presence."


Almost 3 hours this movie had both of us fascinated.


I wondered and still wonder how long I would last, living a life unbroken by a sharing of ideas with others. The Carthusian monks in the film have written and published many books and perhaps that would suffice. I don't know.


My husband quipped that the lifestyle depicted was the ultimate "Zip It!"


I do know that I write, think and study better in silence. My husband likes music, smooth jazz, classical, pop, and easy listening. I like those also, but not when I am writing, thinking and studying. Hence, we have divided the house into zones. When I am writing, he respectfully, listens to his music in the bedroom/man cave/study or on the back porch.


How do you deal with silence? How much silence is enough for you? Please give me some feedback.

1 comment:

  1. I love the silence for study, prayer, and refreshing. Having had some training in music, I find it compels me to listen actively and competes with other thoughts.

    ReplyDelete