Search This Blog

Friday, February 25, 2011

Connecting the Thoughts of a Lifetime

I have a friend who lived in a small house for more than 20 years before she moved to the size she had been decorating in her mind for years and years. All the bits and pieces that were crammed into a small space now looked perfect with space and elegant design guiding the placement of each item. It was as if she had known that she would double the square feet of her home and she wanted every element of decor to fit that scheme. Only she could see that invisible design for a long time. Now everyone can see it in the new home.

That's how I see Zip It! I have been thinking about communication for a lifetime and now I am gathering the threads of those thoughts and they all seem to work together.

Take the writings of John Powell S.J., communication guru of the 1960's,70's, and 80's. I used to use his books when I taught acting, especially the "Emotional Checklist" he details in The Secret of Staying in Love, Argus Communications 1974. I just wrote to see if I can have permission to reprint that list in my book.

Everything is fair game. One son gave me the title, one son gave me a new word which I will be using in the book, and a friend told me an anecdote just last night which is now in the book. Be careful when you speak with friends who are writers. All is fair in love, war and book writing.

What themes in your life do you see coming together as though you knew that you would be putting them together some time in the future? An interesting thing to think about.

No comments:

Post a Comment