Search This Blog

Monday, February 28, 2011

Publicity

When I was trying to publicize someone else, I was relentless. I would call TV producers, newspaper and magazine writers almost daily until they gave in and gave my client some serious facetime.


It always seems harder when you are trying to publicize yourself because it's easy to take rejection personally. Don't.


My first line of attack was to give, not ask. I researched what my potential targets were writing about or giving air time to. Then I researched those topics and gave them leads, soundbites, research and angles they might not have thought of themselves. I did this relentlessly not because I was a media hound, but because I was being paid to do it.


I needed the income. Tuition bills for the kids' education loomed and I wanted to keep my job.


My client appreciated my efforts even if they didn't yield visible results until many weeks later. I kept trying to connect with the producers and writers until they saw me as someone who had something of value for them.


That's the ticket here. I will have to be my own press agent and pursue the market until it recognizes me as a resource and expert that will help them look good.


The key is to get names and phone numbers and there are media directories you can buy with this information. There is hard copy and online copy. Since the workforce changes so often, the online information is more likely to be up-to-date. If I intend to pay for any information, entrance to one of these directories would be worth it. First, I will contact people I know in marketing and publicity to find out the most cost effective way to go.


Anyone can get this information if you just start asking. Pick a company or non-profit that gets regular coverage and call them. Ask to talk to their Director of Communications and start asking questions. If you call in the late afternoon near the end of a week, you are more likely to find someone who will take the time to give you the information.


When I have more written, I will go this route.

No comments:

Post a Comment