Search This Blog

Monday, February 21, 2011

Getting Published

I am writing a book. So what else is new? It seems as if everyone in the world is writing a book. Since I actually want people to read it when it's finished, I'm serious and plan to put some effort into this.

I have written several books already. Two can be downloaded for free from my website: www.strategiesforlivingunlimited.com If you click on "Resources", you will see them to click on and download: Strategies for Fashion in the Workplace and Wisdom Not for Wimps. I also have a self-published book, The Queen of Bargains Little Instruction Book which sold 1500 copies and so I made a profit. I have some left, maybe 30, in case someone needs to add it to their library:)

The Actor's Working Process, which I wrote for actors and directors, is not only not published, but sits in my closet waiting to be scanned onto a computer, as it was born before the electronic age began. One more, a book of devotions, is unpublished.

I began this book, Zip It! a month ago.

I'm also researching the pros and cons of self-publishing, ebooks, traditional books (paper), finding a publisher, marketing and other related topics and I thought sharing my findings may help others as it helps me sort through the overwhelming amount of information.

I started with a friend and publisher, Chug Roberts, President and Publisher of TheCapitol.net - non-partisan training and publications that show how Washington works.(TM). My invitation to him was irresistible, "You talk and I will listen."
Within minutes he responded via email and said a call was OK within the hour.

I waited a polite 2 minutes and then called and met his expectations. I actually listened and wrote as fast as my fingers would go.

A very important resource is author Aaron Shepard, a self-published childrens' writer who has written 3 books that tell the whole story: Aiming at Amazon:The NEW Business of Self Publishing, or How to Publish Your Books with Print on Demand and Online Book Marketing, POD for Profit: More on the NEW Business of Self Publishing, or How to Publish Your Books With Print on Demand by Lightning Source, and Perfect Pages: Self Publishing with Microsoft Word, or How to Design Your Own Books for Print on Demand.

A traditional publisher arranges for layout, cover design, images, graphics and pictures, and some marketing and when you self-publish, you pay for all this out of pocket. Of course, the money with traditional publishing is not great, unless you are famous, which I am not. The risks are greater with self-publishing and yet the rewards are also potentially greater. Risk/reward analysis is always necessary, not fun and a real eye opener.

Overly simplified here, after you figure that out, and write the book, it is important to get someone to really review your book. Chug stressed that friends, family and even professional colleagues may run from the truth and getting a "do different" from someone may be harder than finding gold in your backyard, unless you live in Alaska! There is the group of top 100 reviewers on Amazon and Jim Cox in the Midwest Book review (out of Oregon) who might do it. I can only ask.

Then there are blurbs. Who would write one for me? My acting teacher, Olympia Dukakis? The FAA facility director in Palm Coast, former clients (an engineer, a PR executive, a Fox News correspondent, an actor, a financial analyst, a high tech project manager)? I need to compile a good list.

Who cares about what I have to write? I don't know. I need to enlarge my following on Facebook, my website and a blog. In fact, I'd better start blogging every day. That way I can see if anyone cares by tracking views to the pages.

I starting sending a targeted message to Facebook friends and I will analyze the responses. The message has the subject "Need information". The message is: I'm writing a book on communication. Who do you think needs help communicating more: parents, children, husbands, wives, best friends, managers, employees, or teachers? Please leave your comments here and pass this along to your friends. I need to boost my following. I thank you from the bottom of my heart for reading, but I need more."

If you have an opinion, please respond. It will help me more than you can imagine.

Is this to be a general self-help book or a book to be used in training people to maximize their leadership skills?

I'll be blogging regularly to test the market and see what the interest is.

I also need to network with like minded writers and publishers. Chug recommended the IBPA, The Independent Book Publishers Association. They have an annual publishing university event which has been a great resource for him.

Following other bloggers and reaching out to a few will be useful: Glen Reynolds, Tyler Cohen, and others I know, like Julia Duin (former Washington Times Religion reporter and current Washington Post Religion blogger), Jennifer Griffin (national security correspondent for Fox News) and Jamie Martin (Steady Days).

Google is another marketing outlet to consider as they sell ebooks as a PDF file which can be downloaded.

If you decide to read along for the ride, I thrive on feedback. Let it be, "Keep on doing what you are doing or do this or that differently." I don't care as long as there is feedback. Please give me at least one "works well" and one "do different" and it will fuel me like a vitamin that turbo charges me.

2 comments:

  1. Whoo-hoo, I'm first! I remember when that actors book was mid-process; didn't know you'd finished it :) Doesn't everyone need help, since communication involves at least two parties? Will you write about the evoking, the wooing (asking good questions, listening well...) of someone else's "quality" communication?

    [It is somewhat intimidating to be commenting to you, Jill (writer, speaker, teacher), trying to communicate with you about good communication!!]

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great! I am eager to follow your insights in this process! Communication: everyone. When I read your 'who needs it more' list, I said yes; yes; yes.

    I'm ready to learn from what you are learning in the process. Thanks for writing it! Are you on Twitter? Its where I get my brief updates on the world and people in it...

    ReplyDelete